Holy Cow! I made Coconut Lime Shrimp Soup last night for dinner, and it was delicious and so easy to make! I don't know why, but I have always been intimidated at the thought of making homemade soup. The ingredient list for soups tend to go on and on and I fear that 5 hours later (if I'm lucky) I might have a finished product.
James and I are a week into the Whole 30 Program. Even though it has been only 7 days, James and I are already feeling the positive effects of eating healthy. Actually James has been eating like a king! Every night he tells me that the dish I prepared was the best meal he has ever tasted. You can also hear him saying, "I never knew you could cook so good!".
I never knew I could too.
It has actually been a lot of fun planning meals, prepping food, and experimenting in the kitchen. I feel like within a week I already feel more comfortable shopping for fresh produce and meat. It is amazing what delicious meals you can come up with by simply using the right ingredients.
I was so happy with the outcome of this yummy soup, I had to share it with more than just one person. And according to James, this was the best soup he has ever had. :)
So if you are intimidated by homemade soup, don't be. If I can do it, you can do it.
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies (10 oz)
- 1 can coconut milk (14 oz)
- 1 Tbsp Tabasco
- 1 medium lime, juiced (2 Tbsp)
- 1 diced avocado
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Saute onions and peppers for 3 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Then add garlic, tomatoes, shrimp and cilantro and simmer until shrimp turns opaque (5 minutes).
- Pour in the coconut milk and Tabasco sauce and simmer for another 5 minutes to allow flavors to combine.
- Finish with lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy the yumminess with diced avocado on top.